Celery is a widely cultivated vegetable recognized worldwide for its excellent source of antioxidants and beneficial enzymes.
Known for its rich composition of vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin B6, celery, as an ingredient, is usually found in veggie salad and soups, or as a decoration to various dishes around the world.
While celery is most commonly used as an ingredient, many people prefer to consume it raw or in juice form so as to not lose its rich nutrients in the food preparation process.
Aside from the obvious health benefits of consuming celery due to the high concentration of A, K, C, E, D, and B vitamins, celery has also been known for its anti-hypertensive contents for centuries.
In recent pharmacological studies, celery demonstrates both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities that help improve blood pressure and cholesterol levels, as well as prevent heart disease.
Celery also provides dietary fiber – especially when you eat more than one cup at a time – that boosts digestion and weight loss.
In addition, celery’s high percentage of water and electrolytes can prevent dehydration, and special compounds help celery to act as a diuretic and reduce bloating. As a supplier of antioxidant flavonoids and polyphenol phytonutrients, other significant benefits of celery include its ability to improve liver, skin, eye and cognitive health.
As if the aforementioned alone wasn’t impressive enough, here are 8 additional benefits of eating celery:
- Soothes swelling
- Cholesterol, LDL (bad cholesterol), may be reduced once you consume celery. This veggie contains phthalides which have the potential to lower the level of cholesterol. In fact, it has been proven that eating at least 2 stalks of celery can actually lower LDL by as much as 7%.
- Boosts digestion due to high water content.
- Helps ease high blood pressure. Celery has an active compound known as phthalides that have the potential to enhance the circulation of the blood by up to 14%.
- Daily consumption can help lower the stress hormones in the blood.
- Can aid in weight loss. Celery has just 10 calories and is primarily composed of water. Consuming celery before your meal will help you feel full, causing you to eat less.
- Can ease feelings of stress and depression. Every 100 milligrams of celery has at least 11 milligrams of magnesium. Hence, it can effectively help lessen your stress levels.
- Helps balance Alkaline levels by keeping pH levels at a healthy state.
There you have it. Celery might be a key factor in helping you to live a healthier lifestyle. Perhaps you’ve found your next midnight snack?
If you found this article helpful, please share with friends and family by clicking the button below!