This healthy chocolate cake is super moist, and chocolaty. It’s made a little healthier with whole wheat flour and sweetened with honey or coconut sugar. It can also easily be made gluten-free and vegan!
This chocolate cake is seriously moist and because it’s whole grain and honey- or coconut sugar-sweetened, it’s healthier than your traditional chocolate cake, but you won’t miss out on taste!
It’s every bit as delicious as the best chocolate cake you’ve ever had.
How to make a healthy chocolate cake
A simple list of ingredients is all you need to start your day off well. For a triple-layer cake, these basic supplies will be enough: one bowl and mixing spoon; no kitchen equipment necessary!
- All-purpose flour- An excellent flour for making cakes. If you want to increase its healthiness, use white wholewheat all-purpose instead of wheat! To keep this healthy chocolate cake gluten-free, use gluten-free flour.
- Granulated sweetener- To keep sugar levels low and calories under control, I prefer using monk fruit or erythritol.
- Cocoa Powder- Use dark cocoa powder to add some richness and depth of flavor.
- Baking soda- Gives the cake some rise and leavening.
- Salt- Enhances the sweetness of the cake.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- The recipe for these adorable doughnuts is as simple and easy-to-follow: mix together baking soda, some white vinegar, or lemon juice to make it easier. No need to use eggs!
- Vanilla Extract- A must for any cake or baked good.
- Unsweetened applesauce- Applesauce replaces the need for any fat.
- Water- Instead of using milk or non-dairy milk, use water. Use room temperature water, not warm or hot.
Start by mixing together your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Next, add your apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and unsweetened applesauce and mix until just combined. Then, add your water and mix very well, until fully incorporated. Transfer the cake batter into a cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out just clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, frost the cake.
Healthy Chocolate Frosting
You can use any chocolate frosting of choice. While I often choose a healthy applesauce-based version to keep the sugar and calories down.
To make: 1 cup sugar-free powdered sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sweetener (monk fruit or erythritol), cocoa powder, vanilla extract, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk.
Combine your dry ingredients and mix well. Add the vanilla extract and milk and whisk together, until smooth and glossy. For a thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar. For a thinner one, add more milk.
Tips for the perfect healthy cake
- Do not overbake the cake! I cannot stress this enough. You want to remove the cake from the oven when a skewer comes out ‘just’ clean, as the cake continues to cook as it is cooling down.
- I prefer to make a triple-layer cake, as I find it gives it a more decadent look and flavor. If you’d also like a triple layer cake, simply triple the cake ingredients, and double the frosting ingredients!
- The frosting is completely optional. Omit it if you prefer a cake without frosting.
- Use this recipe as part of a healthy breakfast, by serving it with some Greek yogurt or eggs (for added protein).
- If you’d prefer a snack chocolate cake or chocolate sheet cake, you can bake it in a square pan.
Can I freeze the cake layers or the whole cake?
Yes, you can freeze the unfrosted layers or even the whole cake! Let them thaw in the fridge overnight, so the cake is ready to frost when you are about to serve. This healthy chocolate cake has the perfect chocolate flavor and is so insanely moist that you may never bake a traditional chocolate cake again.
That’s it! I hope you’ll enjoy this scrumptious cake.