Coconut oil has a plethora of health benefits and can be used externally in various beauty applications such as skin moisturizer and hair conditioner, and internally to help reduce inflammation and improve memory.
Now, with the rise in popularity of marijuana for its medicinal properties, it has been found that the benefits of coconut oil as a healing agent can be boosted even further by infusing it with cannabis oil. The resulting oil is extremely potent and effective in easing chronic pain, controlling seizures, and combatting nausea.
The reason for the effectiveness of the combination is in the chemical composition of the respective oils.
Coconut oil is loaded with natural saturated fats that help convert the LDL (bad cholesterol) into HDL (good cholesterol) — a key ingredient to a healthy heart.
The tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD) in cannabis oil, the two cannabinoids that give marijuana its healing properties, are very fat soluble. Thus creating a perfect adhesive for the cannabinoids to bond with the fatty molecules in coconut oil when mixed.
The Marijuana Strain Makes a Difference
Flowers in the sativa family have a high CBD:THC ratio and are therefore effective in boosting energy, stimulating the mind, and promoting optimism.
Due to the high CBD content of sativas, they are most commonly used to treat depression, ADHD, and appetite loss. Conversely, those in the indica family have a high THC:CBD ratio and has a sedative effect on users — thus making it an effective treatment for anxiety and sleep disorders.
- Preheat the oven to 240° F. / 115° C.
- Use your hands to break up cannabis flowers and buds into small pieces. The amount of each depends on the desired quantity, though we suggest 1 ounce as a starting point.
- Place the pieces in one layer on an appropriately sized rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, taking care to stir every 10 minutes to ensure they’re evenly toasted.
- Remove the baking sheet when the cannabis turns darker in color (a light to medium brown), and has fully dried out. The resulting leaves should be crumbly.
- Allow the cannabis to cool.
- In a food processor, pulse the cannabis until it is coarsely ground (you don’t want a superfine powder).
- Store it in an airtight container and make extractions as needed.
Preparing The Cannabis Coconut Oil
- Place the crushed marijuana in a glass jar and add the coconut oil. The ratio should be one gram of de-carboxylate marijuana for every ounce of virgin coconut oil.
- Put the lid on the jar and place it in a pan full of water.
- Slowly heat the water, keeping it below boiling for 60 minutes so as to not burn the oil.
- Use a strainer to strain the mixture to eliminate the solid elements. Make sure to squeeze the juice from the cannabis.
- The cannabis coconut oil is now ready to be used as you wish — eat as is, combine it with other foods, or apply as a lotion.
- If you choose to cook with the treated oil, take care not to boil the active compound in the marijuana by keeping the temperature below 315 F.
There you have it! Everything you need to know to create a potent Cannabis Coconut Oil capable of fighting off your ailments and improving your overall well-being.
If you found this article helpful, please share with your friends and family by clicking the button below!