When you think of marshmallows, what comes to mind?
For most of us, it’s roasting s’mores over an open campfire, sipping from a marshmallow filled cup of hot cocoa in the winter, or enjoying them in any number of Thanksgiving dishes.
The above tells us that while marshmallows are staples for certain activities, they aren’t commonly consumed with regularity as a snack.
But how could something that tastes so good be so bad?
Even though marshmallows are fat-free, they are packed full of refined sugar. In fact, one regular marshmallow contains as much as 4 grams!
To put it into perspective, a small cup of marshmallows used to top your hot chocolate contains a whopping 29 grams of sugar. This translates to over 400 empty calories and exceeds the recommended daily amount by nearly 10 grams.
Refined sugar (sucrose) and high fructose corn syrup have been directly related to long-term health problems including:
- Heart disease
- Several cancers, like pancreatic cancer
- Insulin resistance and diabetes
Healthy Marshmallow Recipe
Marshmallow lovers needn’t fear, there’s a solution to your refined sugar woes. This simple homemade marshmallow recipe is not only delicious, but eliminates the health-compromising refined sugar entirely.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 1/2 tbsp. grass-fed gelatin (or agar agar for a vegan option)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
What to do:
- Lightly grease loaf pan.
- Cover with parchment paper.
- Grease the parchment paper.
- Mix ¼ cup of water with gelatin in a medium bowl. Set aside to soften.
- Mix honey, salt, and ¼ cup of water in a small pot. Heat on medium heat.
- Using a candy thermometer, bring the mixture to 240 degrees.
- Remove from the heat as soon as it’s at the right temperature.
- Using a hand mixer on low, very carefully mix in the hot syrup into the gelatin mixture by pouring the hot syrup in a drizzle down the side of the bowl.
- Add in the vanilla and beat on high for 15-20 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and fluffy (it will look like marshmallow fluff).
- Scrape into the prepared pan and let sit for 4-12 hours to dry.
- Cut into squares for serving.
If you found this recipe helpful, share with your friends and family by clicking the button below!