Bananas are one of the most consumed fruits in the world. They contain lots of healthy nutrients and carbohydrates which makes them an excellent choice for people looking to get their energy quickly without having any after-effects from food!
But if you thought that the only type of bananas out there were the ones piled up at your grocery store, think again. There are actually more than 1,000 types of bananas consumed around the world, ranging in size, flavor, and color! That’s right, the unmistakable yellow fruit used in your favorite banana bread recipes also comes in shades of red, blue, purple, pink, and brown.
Because of the popularity of the yellow banana in the United States, the sight of red bananas might raise some eyebrows, as well as some questions about shelf life. Though not normally a fruit we see often, red bananas are popular in other parts of the world, and actually have a long list of health benefits.
What Is a Red Banana?
Have you ever wondered what the elusive fruit is that’s only a variant of yellow bananas in your kitchen? Well, outside of its slightly sweeter taste and smaller size red bananas really don’t have all too much difference. They’re just as nutty-yellow on top with black spots like their cousins but they also come attached to green stems!
Most people grab a banana when they want a snack that’s high in potassium, but the red variant also provides many other essential nutrients. And if you’re wondering where the reddish tones come from, red bananas contain carotenoids—pigments that give plants their color, which is also great for eye health.
Here are few benefits of red bananas:
1. Helps in weight loss – A red banana is a superfood, containing protein and fiber. All that goodness can help you stay full for longer! One whole fruit only has 90 or 100 calories with good carbs to keep your cravings in check too – making this an excellent choice if want to support weight loss goals.
2. Good for your kidneys – It’s no secret that potassium helps prevent the formation of kidney stones. It also helps in retaining calcium in your body which is good for the growth of bones and keeps them stronger.
3. Helps you tackle nicotine withdrawal – Magnesium and potassium are known to help with the withdrawal of nicotine. They help to deal with the urge to smoke. They provide energy and a sense of fulfillment that helps you tackle psychological problems.
4. Great for your skin – Red bananas are not only healthy to eat but they are also great for your skin when consumed or applied on the face externally. One way to prepare an easy and effective face mask is to mix powdered oats, mashed red bananas, and few drops of honey to make a paste. Apply it on your face and let it dry and then wash it off.
5. Purifies your blood – The fruit is rich in antioxidants and vitamins which improve the quality of blood and your hemoglobin count. The red banana not only energizes you but also boosts your immunity. Red bananas contain Vitamin B-6 which helps in the breakdown of proteins and the formation of red blood cells.
6. Gives you lovely locks – A lot of people use red bananas as a hair mask too. You can mash the banana with coconut, sesame, or almond oil to moisturize your hair and to relieve problems like dandruff, hair fall, and dry hair. Add few teaspoons of lemon to the mask and apply it all over your hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash off for bouncy and shiny hair.
Where to Buy Red Bananas?
You probably won’t be able to buy a bunch of red bananas from your local grocery—the fruit subgroup originated and is mostly grown in Southeast Asia. Thankfully, Etsy has given us some options! You can grab a whole box of red bananas on Etsy! Then, eat the fruit raw or cook bananas like you normally would. You can also buy a red banana tree, but note that this beautiful plant only produces ornamental fruit, nothing you can eat. Try this new and healthy variety of bananas and derive all its wonderful benefits.