Moscow Mules are all the rage.
But according to new reports surfacing from health officials in Iowa, the trendy copper mugs may be giving you much more than a hangover. In fact, new information suggests that they may be the culprit behind your hangover.
The state’s Alcoholic Beverages Division made the declaration after examining the poisonous nature of copper and copper alloys mixing with food. According to the Food and Drug Administration’s Moral Food Code, copper is prohibited from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0.
Liquids with a pH below 6.0 include vinegar, fruit juice, and wine. Cocktails like the Moscow Mule, which are widely served in copper mugs and include lime juice, fall far below this standard. The warning comes as the Mule has risen in popularity with social media users, who enjoy posting pictures of the attractive mugs.
According to a statement from the Alcoholic Beverage Division, “when copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food.” Copper poisoning can lead to stomach pains, diarrhea, vomiting and even yellowing of the skin.
It is important to note that the health warning does note that copper mugs that have an inner lining using a different metal like nickel or stainless steel are safe to drink from, but, BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!
If you found this article helpful, please share with your fellow Moscow mule lovers by clicking the button below!